Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Going on Vacation

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just to let you know, I won't be posting here for a bit, am going on vacation next week to Houston. Also have been busy this week, having had problems with the ex-wife over my kids. See you guys in about a week and a half!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Mikey B, thanks for the heads up. We won't have to get a posse together now.

    Is this the kind of vacation where you take a vacation from your cameras, or are you planning on filming, videoing, or taking still pictures while on your vacation?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm back from vacation...I did take my 35mm slr with me...shot 3 rolls of Kodachrome and 1 roll of Elite Chrome extra color...to avoid airport xray damage, I bought the film after I arrived, and shipped it to Dwayne's for processing/mounting before I went back to Omaha. Incidently, the airport folks in both Omaha and Houston said that the security screen will not damage film the is ASA 800 and below...but that the xrays done to checked baggage will ruin any film. Of course when I was busy taking pictures, my family got a look of disgust and disbelief when they found out I was shooting slide film...my brother thinks I'm living in the 1950's, and that I should "get with the times"....and I will...when digital still cameras reach the quality level that slides give me, and when the price is comparable to my slr...which judging by the prices now, won't be for some time...

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can your brother account for EVERY digital picture he has taken. While reusing memory in search of a better shot is a good thing, LOSING shots because of mistakes is not good.

    And I guarantee that is happening, and rehappening, to many digital users.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    MikeyB,

    I converted to colour slide from colour print about a year ago and have never looked back. Someone who says that anyone using slide film is living in the 1950s obviously has never tried, and can?t appreciate the beauty of colour slide film.
    Actually I lied just then, I?m going holiday in two weeks and I plan to take some of the new Kodak Royal Supra and no slide film, but that?s only in the interests of cost!

    I love Kodak EliteChrome Extra Color, it?s a fantastic film and I?ve used it extensively for my college projects. Do yourself a favour though and try some Fujichrome Velvia (they?ve just released a 100ASA version) and some Provia 100F, both beautiful films! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Alex, I liked your point about digital users. I get annoyed with one of my friends who has ditched his film camera in favour of digital who takes it mickey out of me because I swear by film. I think that by experimenting with film and losing shots because something didn?t quite work out or you made a mistake is how you come to be a good photographer. You learn what works and what doesn?t and are more motivated to learn the technical aspects of photography better because if you don?t then you?ll just waste film. Whereas with digital if something doesn?t work then its just ZAP and then try again.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I find that verrrrrryyyy interesting. Film links our experiences together. We take into future projects the successes and the failures.

    Maybe Woody Allen was right. Eventually we'll all have our own ecstacy chambers and just shine everybody else on. [img]graemlins/shhh.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:19 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have tried Fuji Velvia, and really liked it. I have been using Kodak pro 100 VS, but found the colors very saturated, almost too much, but it does punch up dull scenes. I am really in love with Kodachrome 64...it gives me the exact color that i see thru the lens, no surprises. And reds and blues are beautiful. I don't mind waiting a week to get the film back, and the sharpness is great...Velvia does match on the sharpness, but sometimes the facial tones are annoyingly saturated too. Cameraguy, I love projecting my slides too. No digital pic can match the beautiful color you get from a good ole fashioned silver halide slide, and still retains it's definition when you project it. I was unhappy with the cheapo plastic Kodak zoom lens I had bought for my slide projector, so i did pony up the money for one of Kodak's Select glass lenses....german made...flat field...fixed focus, 90mm, miles ahead in quality to the cheapo lenses..usually runs about 230.00 new, but I searched the net and found a school supply place in Hawaii selling it in an inventory reduction sale brand new for 140.00! It has a full f stop larger than the cheap lens, so the Kodachromes are brighter and not as dull! Everyone always warns against projecting slides..apparently, Kodachrome is only supposed to last an hour from projecting before fading occurs, Ektachromes, 2 hours...but i don't leave the slides up that long, so I'm not going to worry about it.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I received my slides back from Dwayne's on wednesday, 5 day turnaround from Houston to Kansas to Nebraska, pretty good if you ask me! Just an FYI for those of you who shoot slides, everything came back great, Dwayne's did a nice job of processing! The Kodachrome and Elite Chrome looked very good. I will definitely use Dwayne's in the future for Kodachrome super 8 and slides. The Elite Chrome produced beautiful landscapes and scenic shots, but horrible skin tones...even worse than Ektachrome VS...the Kodachrome came out stunning (I apologize for straying from the Kodachrome fold!) I think Velvia produces better "people shots" than the Elite Chrome. Both Velvia and Elite Chrome produce richer colored landscapes, while Kodachrome is a better all purpose film...but given the right lighting conditions and subject, Kodachrome can be very saturated too..

  10. #10
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool



    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 29, 2003 06:20 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •